Monday, January 28, 2008

Gremolata, schmemolata? Gremolata!


Dear Reader,

The first time I knowingly had gremolata was at Chez Panisse for my college (university for my UK readers) graduation luncheon. I had some sort of thin crust ham and cheese calzone with gremolata on top. I had to ask what it was and was sorta annoyed when I found out it was just minced garlic, lemon zest, and parsley. Fast forward many years to a kitchen with a glut of polenta and clementines. One evening on a whim I minced together chili pepper, fennel seeds, clementine zest (carefully remove the pith from the zest; this is NOT easier after a class and half of mulled wine), parsley, cilantro (coriander for my UK readers), and some salt. Scrumptious! Now this mixture is added to practically everything served in this house. Polenta fries, salad, salmon marinade and garnish, roasted butternut squash and white bean salad, pasta. You get the idea.

No comments: