Thursday, June 14, 2007

$28/week food challenge

I know it is totally played out and I'm way behind the bandwagon, but I'm starting the $28/week food challenge tomorrow! I see it as a fun culinary challenge that will leave me rich and thin (the social consciousness angle is important too, but lets be honest, something that makes you richer and skinnier is much more interesting.) This means no more brunches, lunches, etc, no more unless I can work it into the budget. I'm not going to include alcohol because that is boring. Other people can cook for me. And when I have people over it will be out of the budget. What is already in my kitchen (the farro, the bonito flakes, etc) I can use with impunity or budgeting.

How I plan on making this work:
-I don't eat meat, so that makes it easy.
-I will do all of my shopping at the Co-op to maximize quality for my price.
-My breakfasts of oatmeal cooked with water and salt are already super cheap.
-I will make my own breads. I'm more than partial to the world's most amazing bread recipe.
-I will buy local and organic produce when possible.
-I will keep thinking about how much money I will save (for new clothing, plane tickets to weddings- my own and other's) and how much thinner I will be (for new clothes and making plane flights to weddings- my own and other's- more comfortable).

No comments: