Friday, June 22, 2007

The Frugal Bride

Dear reader, you probably already know that I am getting married to my überdreamy fiance. Weddings and marriage are a wonderful distillation of my favorite things: food, shelter, and clothing. However, as Christoph and I are in the depths of poverty, I am trying do this as much frugality and sensibility as possible. I'm trying to channel the kind of wedding that is only found in young adult literature, like Laura Ingalls when she married Alfonso Wilder wearing her best black cashmere dress or Betsy from Betsy, Tacy, & Tib or Anne of Green Gables. So, with farm girl pluck let me share some of my hints:

1. My dress cost $40. It is the second dress I bought, but that one cost $100. So, I'm still 1/10th or 1/100th of what plenty of wedding dresses cost.
2. My shoes. I intend to spend an obscene amount of money (a paycheck) on a pair of shoes. These shoes are going to be exceptionally lovely and I will only buy a pair I can also wear with jeans to work.
3. Our honeymoon will be short and in Prague. We will be staying at this place; if you scroll down that front page you will see they make omelets all day long!

No comments: