Friday, June 22, 2007

Consoling Consulates


Dear Reader,

As you no doubt know, I've spent a large chunk of my adult life as an expat. This means I've had all kinds of fascinating visa related experiences and anecdotes. Americans, studying abroad, in France must prove they have health care while Americans, studying in the UK, must prove their prior academic experiences. Most of my dealings with consulates and what not have been a headache at the very least. You try navigating these automated phone systems. But, the German Consulate in NY is the very model of the exception of these things. Not only was it easy to get connected with a real live operator, but this operator connected me to a real person's voice mail. This consular official called me back 5 minutes later! And he was charming and helpful, and once I get my paperwork, I get to stand the the line for "citizens"!

No comments: